Monday, June 18, 2007

More of the Same

Ugh, what an ugly series that was at Fenway. I can't remember a team that completely overmatched the Giants in every way like the Sox just did. The three games epitomized the problems with the Giants franchise ever since I started watching them regularly:

1) Game 1: They make some of the worst pitchers in the game look like staff aces.
2) Game 2: Despite fantastic pitching by their own teammates, they can't score enough to win.
3) Game 3: When all hope seems lost, they show a smidgen of life and bring back that hope, only to falter in the end.

Not to play chicken little here, but the sky truly is falling for the Giants. 10 games is not impossible to make up, but when you go 14-19 against your division, you are not going to be able to play catch-up. So, in the spirit of freaking out over the weekend, I propose a fire sale. Here's what it looks like in my head:

C: Keep Molina and use Rodriguez as a backup. I'd try to break in Rodriguez by playing him about half the time to see if he's really ready for full-time in the majors. Eventually trade Molina in a year or so if Alfonso or Rodriguez look to be ready to play the full-time job. If they don't, then we have Molina for a couple more years, and he looks like he's still productive so no big worries here.

Infield: Keep Klesko if he'll sign for less than $5 million per year. He has shown he can still produce, and will be fairly cheap. Durham is tradeable if healthy. I'd try to package him and a young pitcher for the proverbial young, above-average hitting infielder. I'd play Frandsen at whatever position isn't filled, and he's shown he can play almost any position necessary. Trade Vizquel if you can get anything, but more likely let him go at season's end. Aurilia looks done, and if Pedro is resigned I just may have to become an Oakland fan. I would really consider signing A-rod, as long as it isn't in the range of $25-$30 mil per year for 8 years. If we can't get A-rod, I'd look at signing the big-name OF to be named in the next paragraph. I would call up De La Rosa and try him out at short, suspect defense or not. However, if Aurilia can show that he can pick up his game a little, I'd still like to see him play, not just because he's a guy you can root for, but because of the goatee. You always have to have a guy with a kick-ass goatee on your team if you want to win. Oh, and also because he's probably got some of that "veteran savvy" lying around.

OF: Wave bye-bye to Barry at year's end, and bring up Ortmeier, Schierholtz, and Lewis, who have all shown that they can be competent at the major-league level. Trade Winn and Roberts for whatever you can get. If you can't get a +hitting infielder, I'd make a run at Ichiro. I know he'll be expensive, but we'll have Blownitez's, Barry's, and theoretically Roberts' and Winn's contracts to play with.

P: I'd keep our starting pitching core, unless we can trade Lowcorrennesechez for a young +hitter. I think Hennessey can close for us, and I'm not worried much about him. And, as I've said before, I think it's imperative that we trade Morris before his stock plummets, as it's sure to do.

BOTTOM LINE: The Giants need to get younger, and they need to stop spending $5-9 million per year on mediocre players. I'd rather not have to get an A-Rod or Ichiro and have just OK players around that superstar, but they need some offense real bad, and their farm players, as good and exciting as they may be, won't produce enough runs. Any extra money should be poured into the farm system and hire some scouts and coaches that know how to find and develop hitting.

Anyway, that's just what I would do (off the top of my head). I reserve all rights to delete this post should the Giants make a tear in the next month or so.

No comments: